Beach Baby! The time to get excited is now! Going to the beach on a hot summers day, oh wow doesn’t that sound lovely. First off, let’s just get this out of the way: don’t expect trips to the beach with a baby to resemble beach trips in your former, pre-baby life. You’ve probably already figured this out based on every other day of your life as a parent, but having a small human with you changes everything. Swap your Solo cup of beer for a giant iced coffee and be prepared to have a fun, but a different type of day.
Here are some things that will probably happen with your beach baby:
- The moment you let your attention wander is when your wee one is going to roll/scoot/crawl/toddle/run to the open water with the urgency and speed of David Hasslhoff.
- Your baby is going to eat sand. Some kids do this by accident (picking up a Cheerio and shoving a handful of sand in the mouth) and some do it on purpose (dining on the sand as if it contains the extra fiber they’ve been sorely lacking in their diet).
- You might not have a full morning at the beach, as planned. It might end up being an hour, or a half hour. On his first beach trip my infant middle child was so freaked out by the blinding brightness of the ocean and the crash of the waves that he dissolved into tears and we had to leave 45 minutes in because I could not soothe him.
- So yeah, having a baby at the beach doesn’t always go as planned. But here are my tried and true tips for making the beach a bit easier for you:
Our swim nappies are cut generously to provide maximum protection and comfort. All Banz swimwear has been clinically tested to a rating of UPF 50+. Can be worn alone or over a disposable swim diaper. Fully lined and pool approved!
A Diaper-Friendly Swimsuit
UV costumes can be matched to the legionnaire swimming caps. Banz Swimwear one piece costumes fit kids aged 3 months to 4 years, are independently tested to UPF50+ (Ultraviolet Protection Factor 50+), and offers 98% sun protection of harmful UV rays for your child!
EASY CHANGING FEATURE: ‘Zip under the Costume’
The quick drying costumes also have a unique feature in the smaller sizes which is a zipper in the crotch area that allows for easy access to nappies.
Banz UV Swim Shoes were originally designed in Australia for one of the world’s toughest UV environments.
The UV Swim Shoes provide kids with outstanding protection against hot sand, on the rocks, pebbly beaches and slick pool areas. Lightweight and flexible, with a high-traction sole. UPF 50+.
Sun Hat and Sunglasses
To add to your infant’s sun care range, Baby Banz has introduced the most practical and innovative hat in the market, with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor of 50+.
The hat has an adjustable band built inside the circumference of the hat that can be loosened or tightened as required. The hats are specifically designed for babies and fits a head size of up to 48cm which fits babies up to about 1 year.
Polarized Polycarbonate lenses – JBanz are not only cool, but they help keep eyes safe by having lenses that offer 100% UVA/ UVB protection UV400 and category 3 polarized polycarbonate lenses offer high sun glare reduction and good UV protection.
They are made using a durable polycarbonate ophthalmic quality which is capable of being replaced with prescription lenses. Their frame is made of shatter-resistant polycarbonate.
JBanz, are for ages 5-10. Some of the colours come with a great coordinating strap and matching case to store the glasses in. That is a lot to offer a small pair of sunglasses!
Pop up travel cot, wonderfully compact and portable, totally comfortable and lightweight. This travel cot is ideal from one to five years and is equally suitable for an extended trip or to use it at home, for sleep and play, indoor and outdoor. Assembles/dissembles in seconds, has a self-inflating/deflating mattress, mozzie/insect/sun screens, 50+ UV protection on roof/sides.
Beach Bag Essentials
What about all the other STUFF you need to haul along? There’s a ton of it. Don’t forget to pack:
- Sunblock. Duh. Bring your favorite brand and don’t forget to re-apply frequently.
- Plenty of Water and Smart Snacks. What are smart snacks? Nothing sticky. Cheerios: good. Peanut butter: bad.
- Baby Powder. The baby powder dries off the skin so the previously wet sand is a bit easier to brush off. It’s definitely a bit of a time saver.
- Wet bags or extra plastic grocery bags to pack out all your nasty, wet swim diapers and such
- Camera, obviously, because THE CUTE will be happening and you’ll want to capture everything.